Historical "Washim City" वाशिम (वत्सगुल्म)

Washim :Washim is a District head quarter and an ancient town. The town being connected not merely with recent saints but with classical deities. The most striking feature in the town is the Deo tank, flanked on one side by the temple of Venkateshwara Balaji and on another by that of Ramchandra. These all apparently date from the 18th century. Washim in its religious aspect is called Watsa Gulma Kshetra, the sacred place of the gathering of Watsa and Legends about it are given in a Manuscript called Watsa Gulma Puran.

Places of Tourist Interest in Washim & Washim District. :::

  • Balaji Temple
  • Padmateerth
  • Antariksha Parshwanath Jain Mandir
  • Karanja
  • Shirpur Jain Mandir
  • Chamunda Temple


The temple of Balaji is a considerably old temple in the town and was constructed by Bhavani Kalu who rose to be the Diwan of Sabji Bhosle and Janoji Bhosle. He constructed the temple in 1779 AD when he was the subhedar. At the thana of Karanja. The shrine is much revered. The images in the temple of Vyankateshwar Balaji are said to have been buried during Aurangzeb`s region to save them from destruction. All trace of was lost, but in about 1760a horseman happened casually to turn up a little earth with his stick and perceived a finger of an image. Image of Bramha, Vishnu, Mahadeva, Parvati Devi, Ganpati and Naga were taken out at that time Bhavani Kalu who had been patwari of the village Khadi Dhamani in Mangal tahsil but had become the Diwan ( or according to some accounts a gen fal) of the Bhosle Rajas, was at Basim. He set up the present temple, a fine building standing in a large paved quadrangle with a well built varandah for pilgrims to stay, a Bhandara for Bramhans to take food and various offices.

The work took 12 years but was finished according to an inscription on a pillar in front 1700 Shaka A.D. 1776, the Dev Talav or Balaji Talav a large square tank with stone built sides, strongly and handsomely finished and with a jalakridasthan plase for swimming, in the middle was made at the time. The chief image is of black stone and sparkles with ornaments, a fine view of the town is to be obtained from the top of the temple gateway, through the staircase is rather abrupt. A dome plated with gold has recently been constructed over the inner chamber of the temple. According to the old Gazatteer 'Larffe Jagirs and inams' were given for the support of the temple, the present revenue being Rs. 11,000/- from those sources and Rs. 3,000.00 from "Kangi" offering . A big Fair is held in honor of Balaji in Ashvina (September-October) Ab out 12,000 to 15, 000 people assemble at the time of the fair.

website - www.balajiwashim.org


Washim is Known to have had 108 tirthas , holy places or sacred springs, associated with different gods and rishis. The Padmatirtha is one of the chief tirthas created by Vishnu. The reference to this tirtha has already occurred in the story connected with the origin of the name of the town, it is situated in the northern quarters of the town. The temple constructed in the centre of the kund used formerly by those who entered the tirtha for swimming as their resting place it is a cement concrete construction.


Shri Nrusimha Saraswati Swami Maharaj is the 2nd avatar (incarnation) of Lord Dattatreya. Born in Karanja, He travelled far and wide in what are now known as the States of Maharashtra, Karnataka, and Andhra Pradesh. He achieved Sainthood and performed several miracles. He imparted spiritual knowledge to his disciples, many of whom themselves attained Sainthood.


Shirpur is one of the most important pilgrim centres of the Jains who regard it as their Benaras. Jain pilgrims from all over the country visit this placeShirpur, is a large village in Washim tahsil is 15 miles to the north-east of Washim. Shirpur was the headquarters of a pargana of 60 villages divided between tour deshmukhs, of whom three were Brahmans and one was a Maratha. At present there are four Jain temples in the village, viz., the Antariksha Parshvanath Basti Mandir, the Pavali Digamoari Mandir, the Parshvanath Shvetambar Mandir and the Chintamani Parshvanath Digambari Mandir. Pilgrims from all over the country visit the main temple and along with it others too throughout the year. However, the chief fair is held for three days in Karttika (October-November).


Pohara Devi temple, known as Kashi for the Banjara community, is near here. The river called Arnavati flows from the city. Manora has a big Cotton and Soybean market.The important villages in Manora taluka include Amargad known as Waigaul,Giroli,Karpa,Pohra Devi, Vitholi,Sendurjana Adhav,Karli,Tadap Bu, Varoli, Umari (bk) and Shendona. Umari (bk) is the mother land of Saint Sewalal Maharaj's mother Samka Mata and priviledge temple of banjara community.

Manora is the taluka place which located between middel of the 4 different taluka and district. YAWATMAL, AKOLA, WASHIM, AMRAVATI are the 4 different districts.